Go Back   TotalFilm Forum > Spine Collector > DVD Talk

Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Two Post Tit

Default Faster

This was what came through from my rental list this week. Had heard it was a decent, post-pub old-school revenger.

Erm, that's a bit generous.

I know complaining that an action film starring The Rock is stupid is a bit like ordering a Quattro Formaggi and moaning that it's a bit cheesy, but Lordy me is Faster dumb.

It's very much like watching someone else play a video game. This is cool at times, like the fact that characters don't have names, just occupations, which are introduced in gaudy in-film titles. At others it's just repetitive though, as you essentially get exposition delivered through what amount to cut scenes that tie together the parts where Dwayne Johnson drives from place to place shooting people in the head, while Billy Bob Thornton's cop and Oliver Jackson-Cohen's hitman pursue him.

It's fun at times - Thornton's floppy, 70s coke-addict haircut steals the film. Cohen-Jackson's character is the most interesting, but the film itself loses interest in him pretty quickly. His English accent seems oddly fake, despite him actually being English.

You see the twist coming from a mile away and the ending is head-slappingly, insultingly stupid. Overall, even as a switch-your-brain off action film, there are plenty of better efforts out there, even if you're smashed.

Wanted to like it. Didn't.

Anyone enjoy it? Am I being too harsh?
Old 18-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Film Loader

Dwayne Johnson:

Someone needs to tell the man that he cant act. I loved WWE as a kid but this man is TERRIBLE. didn't mind his first (full) film - The Rundown, from then on though it was a downward spiral. He's up there with Adam Sandler in my list (mental list, I'm not that sad bloke who makes lists) of actors to avoid at all costs.
Old 18-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Camera Operator

It's one of his best performances I thought.

It does exactly what it says on the tin, it's an action/revenge/redemption movie and if you go into it thinking it's going to be Shakespeare then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Everything in the flim clicks together brilliantly and, wihtout wanting to ruin it for any potential viewers, you feel the same towards Dwayne's charachter all the way through the film, his highs, his lows, the helplessness, every single emotion is shared with the viewer.

The alternative ending which was shelved by the film team does indeed ruin the end of the film which leaves you wondering how everything works out rather than trying to tie up all the loose ends.

Fantastic film and every I know who's seen it has loved it (I don't know you so you don't count )
Old 18-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Old Guard

He's not a great actor but then he hasn't got to be. I really enjoy his films and I'd much rather watch him that the likes of Keanu Reeves who is probably one of the worst actors I have ever seen.
Old 27-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Film Loader

As long as they keep him well away from the talked about Terminator reboot I'll just ignore him. Pretend he's not there.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Camera Operator

I thank the Gods that he passed on the Conan reboot