• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
The synopsis on the encyclopedia page here doesn't really tell anything at all.

But there are episode reviews. Confused
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:57 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

I didn't mean that as a negative. It's good that the synopsis doesn't give away anything. Going into the show not knowing what to expect really allows the weirdness and mysteriousness of the show's setting to shine. It's just that synopsis also probably doesn't do a good job of selling anyone on the show.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:02 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
nobahn wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
I didn't mean that as a negative. It's good that the synopsis doesn't give away anything. Going into the show not knowing what to expect really allows the weirdness and mysteriousness of the show's setting to shine. It's just that synopsis also probably doesn't do a good job of selling anyone on the show.

You do have the ability to enter your own Plot Summary.
Look below the section Other Articles.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:41 am Reply with quote
I'm sitting here staring at a big pile of new anime to watch. Spy x Family? The Witch from Mercury? Chainsaw Man?

Nah.

I'm watching Aura Battler Dubine instead -- Blu-ray in fresh from the big Sentai sale.

Not really sure what to expect as I know virtually nothing about it, beyond its status as a sort of forgotten cult classic, one of those weird, "it's Tomino, but not Gundam," things. I'm sure it'll be a fascinating watch. Especially considering it was made about a year before Zeta Gundam aired, from which we can assume that Tomino had a bunch of the ideas those ideas in his head as he worked Dunbine and started moving into preproduction on Zeta.
Jeffni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:18 am Reply with quote
Recently Saw:

One Piece 1029.
Millionaire Detective 8.
Kaguya-Sama 17.
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars 181-182.
Useful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Recently finished Cyberpunk Edgerunners since my friend said "no really it's Trigger at their best I promise". And it was! My favorite Trigger release since... Akame ga Kill? As is required, some animation weirdness in episode 6, but had a wicked ending that made it all worth it. Top five on best integration of digital effects into anime imo.

Currently keeping up with Trigun Stampede... but I don't know why at this point. Maybe just to watch the trainwreck? The design choices are wearing on me. Related, I'm one season through Blood Blockade Battlefront, an actually good show, though I'm only watching that with tha bois, so it'll probably take a while to finish.

I am still trying to process that this thread is almost 17 years old. I think the last time I posted in here I was in high school?!? Shocked
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Useful wrote:

I am still trying to process that this thread is almost 17 years old. I think the last time I posted in here I was in high school?!? Shocked

We've all aged with the years. Cool Myself, I don't post as much as I used to and some users have disappeared.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:22 am Reply with quote
I started Glasslip recently, (I've finished 3 eps so far), it's better and way less boring than people made it out to be. Most of the other stuff I'm watching is more boring, particularly gunslinger girl.
SusanHartman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the mood to watch all the Marvel Studios movies right now
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
I started Glasslip recently, (I've finished 3 eps so far), it's better and way less boring than people made it out to be. Most of the other stuff I'm watching is more boring, particularly gunslinger girl.

Maybe it is not so obvious early on, but while it generally looked okay, I remember the general feeling of when it finished that absolutely no one felt satisfied. That other than a very messy web of character relationships, stuff just happens and then it ends.
Bradyi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:59 pm Reply with quote
R.O.D. The TV episode 11. I've been watching it all week and also I watched the OVAs. I still have no idea what order you're supposed watch these in, or if you also need to read the manga/light novel. Well, I'm only a little bit lost so far.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Oof. I've been off a while so I'm gonna be here a while saying what I've been watching.

Sing A Bit of Harmony is the best anime movie to come out this decade that no one is talking about. I was shocked by how little buzz it got, but it was great. In fact, it was leagues better than a certain other anime film with a lot of singing in it that many of you guys probably did see. I'll leave it at that since I know a lot of people don't even know what the plot is.

Made in Abyss Season 2 was even better than what came before and easily my pick for Anime of the Year for 2022. I'd be praising it all day if I chose to list off the good things, so I'll just say my one major criticism. Nanachi's arc was moronic and easily the worst thing in the series. It was a thinly-veiled reason to write her out of a story arc where she wouldn't have had much to do. Bringing Mitty back in any form was just exhausting.

Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 2 was outstanding for reasons I can't get into without a bunch of spoiler tags.

I finally saw Victory Gundam in its entirety. It was better than I expected, what with this being the Gundam Tomino supposedly made bad on purpose out of spite. The characters are mostly just okay and a lot of the tragedy is plainly telegraphed before it happens and the show has a weird... uh... How do I put this delicately? Tomino's infamous Mother Complex is at its most obvious in this show and that's saying something. It's practically a pseudo-harem anime for our young protagonist Uso. The young women on the ship (who are pretty much all Red Shirts) tease him and get jealous when he calls one of them pretty, the female enemy pilots all want to bone him... it'd be funny if it weren't so weird.

To speak positively and negatively at the same time, there are two Char Clones in this show. Chronicle, who I think is supposed to be seen as the main rival of Uso, and Katejina, a former friend of Uso's won over to the enemy team by Chronicle's kindness and worldview. Now, Chronicle is a decent enough character, but he honestly doesn't have enough of a personal relationship with Uso at any time to validate being his main rival, or even a real personal enemy on any level to the kid. Amuro and Char were iconic because they were always getting in each other's way, making interesting connections with each other's relatives and close allies, and even killing each other's friends. Jerid has been a jerkass jock to Kamille and even killed his mother right in front of him.

With that being said, Chronicle himself has nothing to do with Uso aside from being prominent members of opposing teams. The other of the two rivals, and the more interesting dynamic to explore, was always Katejina. The audience can see her descent as the series progresses. She starts off with disdain for the war for making children like Uso fight, then progressively comes to hate Uso for getting in her way when she switches sides. There's always a feeling of discomfort from both characters when they're made to fight, and even late into the series she shows that she still values a connection to him in a weird and messed up way. Too bad Tomino was writing the show wrong on purpose or we might've gotten to explore Katejina more. Either way, as a villainous Char Clone, I'd have liked to see more of her.

That being said, the show has a lot of the same problems as most Gundam shows. It's twice as long as it should be, there are too many fights that feel pointless, the cast gets bloated to the point where you can basically tell who lives and dies on an episode by episode basis, and the series retreads the same themes that every other Gundam has already beaten into the ground about the inevitability of war and the monstrosity that is utilitarianism. I give it a high 5/10, but that might just be for the potential I saw in it to be better. ZZ was also considered a poor series but I think I was far more engaged with it.

Finally got around to watching Mushishi and it was great too. Ginko was cool. The recurring characters were neat. The dub was cool. I really did enjoy the series in English so I'm bummed to see that season 2 wasn't dubbed. Ah well.

Finished Cardcaptor Sakura after 200 years, though I did so by skipping every filler episode after episode 18. It had its moments. I think I'd give it a 6/10 though. Good for what it was, but unlike, say, Princess Tutu or Madoka, it didn't really extend its appeal past the demographic of young girls. This is a show that was never for me and I kind of regret watching it.

Got around to watching Slayers Next and it was fantastic. I forgot how much fun this cast of characters was. Phebrizzo didn't disappoint as a villain toward the end. What a badass evil kid! The animation also went from poor to fantastic in the final few episodes. I only wish the show was high quality throughout. While none of the dramatic stuff grabbed me until episode 19 or so, I loved the comedy throughout.
IchigoSS4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:05 am Reply with quote
My second attempt at Your Lie in April.

I watched the first 3 episodes a few years back, but gave up for some reason. Still, I kept it on my to-do (to-watch?) list, since it is supremely written and the characters are worth spending the time needed to get to know them.

Especially the two mains, despite contrasting each other in a cliché fashion, they do bring a lot to the table, making this show surprisingly deep and moving.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro. I didn't have much interest in this show largely because I found Teasing Master Takagi-san (and Uzaki-chan) to be pretty boring. But I felt like watching something wholesome so I fired up Nagatoro and to my surprise Nagatoro is far more enjoyable than Takagi-san.

Nagatoro is more likeable as a character because unlike Takagi, Nagatoro is no master teaser. Sometimes she goes too far. Sometimes she gets carried away. Senpai's sincerity throws her off at times. She can be like a dog chasing a car and so doesn't always think far enough ahead to realize her pranks might lead to places she's not comfortable with. All of that give a lot more flavor to Senpai's and Nagatoro's interactions. Senpai is annoyingly passive at first, but he clearly starts getting more assertive as the story goes on and his typical passiveness makes his more bolder moments feel rewarding.

It's giving me the wholesome fix I was looking for so I'm satisfied.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:26 pm Reply with quote
^ On the one hand, I agree that Nagatoro is a far better character, but on the other, Takagi is less fetishized in general, which is a positive or negative depending on who you're asking. It's nice that someone has the interesting opinion of Nagatoro being the better of the two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1054 of 1055