• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tomo-chan Is a Girl! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

A Carol-chan-centric episode which is fine by me. Carol-chan and Gundo are favourite secondary characters of mine and this show is very smart to let them do some of the lifting. Pretty Boy Senpai finally confesses his love for Carol thanks to Gundo's tactic. Can Gundo work similar magic on Junichiro? We find out why Carol has a perma-smile: years ago her mother told her she looked cuter with a smile because she didn't want her daughter looking sad from loneliness. Unfortunately, that Teflon personality kept Pretty Boy at bay for years, but hey it's all good now.

It was also amusing to see Gundo have to admit that she cares about what Carol thinks of her. It really bothered her to have to lie and say that Pretty Boy was never going to interested. Anyway, great episode.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I think I enjoy watching them more than the leads, to be honest. Not that I have anything against Tomo-Chan and Jun at this point. I just like Carol and Gundo.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Now if we can just get a cross over show starring Carol-chan, Gundo and Yu from Malevolent Spirits as a team of girl assassins (who pilot mechas) posing as an aspiring idol group struggling to make their debut, we'd really have something...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:29 am Reply with quote
And thus the phrase, "Check yourself before you mech yourself" was born <g>

Although I've long suspected there might be some tradition of heavy drinking at anime pitch meetings.,,
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:05 am Reply with quote
Heavy drinking... followed by big bowls of 'shrooms and topped off with great lashings of acid dropping.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Wow. Bravo! This show has just given anime rom-coms a masterclass in how to conduct themselves properly. See, what you do is you introduce a situation, you develop that situation and then - get this - you actually RESOLVE the situation in a highly satisfying way. Let me repeat for emphasis: you DO NOT introduce a situation, then repeat the premise endlessly without developing it and never resolve it. Who knew??? Apparently about 95% of all rom-coms, that's who doesn't.

Even more amazing - the show has wrapped up in a completely awesome way... and there's still an episode left! I'll save the rest of my praise for after it but spoiler alert, I already know this show is getting an Excellent rating from me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes this show confuses me. Like, is Misuzu gay for Tomo or what? Such be that Misuzu had read a lot me as someone who didn't realise that she was a lesbian, tried dating a guy to hopefully get over those feelings, and didn't feel anything. And through the series has done things out of a mix of wanting her crush to be happy, thought that if said crush acted more feminine then maybe those feelings would disappear, then was afraid of losing her. And although still has a mix of feelings is more coming to terms with the hetero character being happy and not need to interfere.

She clearly has no reaction to that one guy keeping on trying to get her attention, such as at the festival dance, but reacted much more to Carol. Not too hard to read into Carol either, who generally has seemed very interested in getting close to Misuzu, in addition to Misaki.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:52 pm Reply with quote
There's DP slipping on the yuri goggles, again. Hey, sometimes a lily is just a flower, ya know? Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

Looks a little odd, that they were going to avert genre expectations against Tomo being the damsel in distress needing to be saved in Jun beating her dad to show how strong he was, but then that pretty much what happened. Was her showing up to give moral support and saying she would try next, her not being the trophy to be won from the boy beating her dad? That is kind of why this show has confused me.

On one hand we have a main female character who is really strong and defies gender expectations, and the show likes that bit about her. And on the other hand the show really wants to do that her being a girl thing, and even though it says she shouldn't have had to change to be more girly, it still did in ways that are glamorous, and really had her have to play the part in the end. Sometimes she is just really cool, and then it is like Jun has to be more masculine to be worth her, which to me is just a little annoying. We saw that Jun wasn't as masculine or tough than her, so it almost makes me wonder if she didn't need to change to be more girly, maybe he didn't need the same in inverse, and maybe that could have been cool for them. That sort of reminds me of that one anime, Witch Craft Works, where they swapped the gender roles of the characters.

In terms of other characters, I have similar thoughts of thinking some are great, and then choices that kind of make me scratch my head. Carol for instance is a top notch character, I like that she is a very feminine character like a balance to the very masculine Tomo and the moody Misuzu, and such hyper-femineity could run risk in some things as weak or manipulative. As her partner, Misaki, even if he and Carol were meant to be like opposites to Tomo and Jun, the story still had him going scary mode male protector, when I generally thought his greatest strength was that he was a strong boy who is a bit girly, despite being in the same club as Tomo, so their relationship should have also defied gender expectations, and to be honest there wasn't much there that was done that excited me.

Misuzu though as a delight, I love that she fits like a witchy villainous character type, who might be called hostile, creepy, and as per gender stereotype could be told to smile more. Her being a loyal friend, and mostly not trying to hurt people without good cause, and not liking to be touched, just made her a fun character. The series insistence on not rarely pairing her with Tatsumi, is just so confusing, as he literally adds nothing to Misuzu other than the fact that she has no interest in him Why is he even there other than feeling like he us sine pest that can't get a clue, but he was kind of framed like sort of harmless endearing.

I am in for the gender thing, but I am just confused why some parts are there. An another small thing I liked, the two gyaru girls, a little bit because I gyaru characters that don't come across as sort of offensive. But did they really play much of a part in the story, that is even coming in with a brand of femininity that is more assertive? I don't think that their obvious crushes on Tomo play much of a part in this romance story that should theoretically touch on queerness in at least gender. They just otherwise had a crush on Misaki, who perhaps notably is not the most masculine guy.

My rating will be Good (7/10), worth seeing, with some cool parts, but other parts that I almost might call a let down for what I would want.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:40 am Reply with quote
I'm losing it, people - I could have sworn I had already come in here and posted my final thoughts on this fine show but obviously not. Anyway, this was easily in my top five of the season and joins the ranks of my personal Beloved Rom-com List. The humour completely worked for me. For most of the show, I didn't really care if Tomo and Jun ever got together because I thought Jun was a bit of stiff and that Tomo could do better, but by the end Jun had redeemed himself in my eyes. I can't say I loved the "have to beat Dad" thing in the finale because that was an external obstacle that really had nothing to do with Jun and Tomo's own attitudes but whatever. I rate this show as Very Good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2