• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KamiKatsu: Working for God in a Godless World (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 pm Reply with quote

KamiKatsu: Working for God in a Godless World (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 6 volumes, written by Aoi Akashiro, illustrated by Sonshō Hangetsuban)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio Palette

Genres: action, comedy, fantasy

Themes: ecchi, isekai, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Yukito is the heir of a questionable cult's leader. After an unfortunate death, he reincarnates in a world without the concepts of god and religion.

Air Date & Platform:
April 5, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well, that was a weird one. But I like it - I think? It certainly got my attention. At first, I thought it was mostly going to be about taking the piss out of isekai conventions. The MC is hoping all these typical isekai things are going to happen but instead it's all super mundane. Welp, it's not that. If this episode is any indication, watching this show is not going to be a straightforward emotionally enjoyable experience. There will be things I like and then there will be things that'll make me go yeesh.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:11 am Reply with quote
I got whiplash trying to keep track of how many times this episode changed tone. It's a comedy. Nope, it's hentai. Oh, it's a slice of life. Wait, it's a dark edge fest? It made your average episode of Handyman Saito look straight forward and stable.

As to whether I liked it or not...Yes? No, wait, no. Maybe? Huh?

But it kept my attention, and I'll try it again next week for sure.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:54 am Reply with quote
Well, that sure was something. The tone does indeed jump between extremes. That said, I enjoyed the first episode for how crazy it was and am looking forward to what the chibi god in a godless world will do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I had dropped this but then continued to peck away at it and now I'm caught up. It's a weird one, for sure. Some of it is just too goofy with the perviness, but the whole examination of how cults, sects, religions, etc build their followers is interesting to me, not to mention other elements and "the twist." I wonder how many people have stuck with this one?
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
Sounds just strange enough to try.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:26 am Reply with quote
It is a solid one, but it has rather low lows, low enough to make some sections a bit of a chore.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:11 am Reply with quote
Agreed. And would definitely be interested in your take, InfiniteJest.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 4:31 am Reply with quote
You know, the series was always a bit out there, but these last 2 episodes are extra out there compared to that. At times it almost seems like a hentai.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
I just started watching this out of the hype about the horrid production values. I thought Episode 1 animation was bearable and silly. I don't know if it's intentional but the entire premise of the show is a logical fallacy. It makes the assumption that religion exists because people fear death, so if no religion then people won't fear death (it's false because death is scary and uncertain regardless of anything else). Maybe the fallacy is the joke so I'm going to watch the next episode because the arrival of Mitama just throws a monkey wrench into the whole fallacy thing.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:17 am Reply with quote
Okay just started this and am barely beginning to digest it or form a full impression.

The anime is all over the place. Some things like the CGI bull/thing are just odd (and crappy looking) then there are the random B&W abstract sketch moments. It’s a mess.

It’s a different kind of Isekai. The intro with dear old dad made less than nonsense (how they looked and how they acted and the random montage of scenes).

The loli goddess is annoying as hell.

The world building (kinda) seems complicated and wants to really go somewhere philosophical but mostly like 4 drunk frat boys trying to get deep between bouts of puking.

And I can’t tell if the MC is a good guy or just a reactive manipulative villain in gestation.

It’s oddly interesting too. There isn’t any deep message and it’s an Isekai but it feels a bit different so im stucking with it. Kind of like Cheat skill in another world takes things on from a different angle, so does this. MC is NOT OP. He’s not a whining simp (so far) but he’s also not an arrogant all powerful twit.

I’d say it’s a 6 that may end up an 8 if it keeps me engaged…so far it is.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:32 am Reply with quote
So continuing on the journey we’ve now dispensed with some of the original premise and now face some AI techno storyline where the archons are going to set up the old system on the rubble of the new world. Just wish they’d mention Skynet at some point. Loki is the only semi interesting element in this…semi.

Seems like less CGI unless you count the archons? The ecchi continues unabated. Still seems to change tone every few minutes. One second Yukito is noble the next he’s a creepy villain and he appears to have zero sex drive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ on the other hand Mitama remains so excessively annoying I want to drop it almost every time she’s on and she os always on. I almost wonder if the director wants her to be a Hestia but…that’s not working at all for me.

Still sticking with it but started to really wonder why. Not feeling anything for the characters at this point and the pop religion/philosophy angle the show is tied to is so lamely done it’s of negative value. But it’s just strange enough to finish out. And it’s still better than Smartphone (which isn’t saying much)
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:59 am Reply with quote
I realize the value of a well thought out review here but…

The latest episodes have convinced me this show is being written and at least partly animated by ChatGPT…and not in a good way. More random, pointless, juvenile mess with no clear reason for being. Maybe I missed a really smart joke or take this episode but frankly I started falling asleep. So when I finished I started My Dress Up Darling and found obsessing over dolls was more insightful than this godless show.

I shall finish it since I’m this far in but it continues to go downhill for me.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, for good or bad, the show is very unpredictable with what it will do. There is also no real central storyline besides dealing with the Archons and Roy is.....Roy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:46 am Reply with quote
Sadly, this show is going to be yet another embarrassing entry in my "yeah, I watched this to completion even though it's bad... what of it?" catalogue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2